Thursday, May 8, 2008

Should I Wear Tae Kwon Do Shoes?

No.

Just kidding - you can wear them if you want. But there are reasons not to - maybe the most important of which is that you can't wear them for competition.

The link above has a few more reasons. This is a good one for those who don't compete:

The reason for this is that not wearing Tae Kwon Do shoes allows you to flex your feet easier. When you don’t have on Tae Kwon Do shoes you can see your feet and be able to learn to control your toes and be able to practice the fine motor control needed of the toes to be successful at this form of martial arts.

2 comments:

Erin Howarth said...

Can I wear instep guards during competition? or only in training? I beating the hell out of the top of my feet :(

Derek Koch said...

Yes, you can wear the instep guards that attach to shin pads in competition. It's just the actual shoes that aren't permitted.

I always take some Advil and put some Icy Hot on before I compete...